Favourite and least favourite math teachers
My favourite mathematics teacher was my Grade 12 algebra teacher in high school, to whom I owe most of my mathematical knowledge. His teaching style was like dissecting a problem, breaking down every single step of the solution to explain the rationale, the underlying deep meaning, and its connection to subsequent concepts. Critical thinking was genuinely evident in his instruction, which fostered a dynamic classroom environment. The mastery they instilled in me has consistently benefited me in math-related subjects, especially physics. I wish him all the best!
On the other hand, my least favourite math teacher was my grade 11 teacher, who treated mathematics as a rigid set of fixed algorithms that failed to apply if even a minor change was introduced to the problem model. I will never forget when she was teaching how to calculate the arc length of a circle given a central angle, where the formula is the radius multiplied by the angle in radians. The teacher insisted that this formula could be used only if the initial data was in radians, not degrees. On an exam, I converted the degrees to radians first and then applied the formula—thinking it was a completely valid approach—yet she refused to give me credit for it!
My favourite teacher, whom I mentioned first, has served as a model for my own teaching. I strive to teach mathematics in a fundamental, deep way. Conversely, I have always avoided the instrumentalist, rote-learning approach of the second teacher, which, in my view, adds no genuine understanding for students and is quickly forgotten.
Comments
Post a Comment